by Sam Patterson (@sam0007ster)
No huge developments this week, so a rather short edition of the rumour round-up I’m afraid. But, speculation is, well, speculation. It’s ubiquitous and – especially to us here at LFCTR – always intriguing. When there’s something to talk about, however small, we talk about it.
The Reds are, assumedly, in the market for a centre-half. Long-time servant Dejan Lovren officially departed the club this week as the Croatian sealed a £10-11milllion (reports on the price vary) to Zenit St. Petersberg. Real Betis defender Aissa Mandi, 28, has been touted as a possible replacement. In fact, Cadena COPE go as far as to say the Reds have lodged a bid for his services.
Indeed, one or two new names have popped up this week, and Schalke centre-half Ozan Kabak is another. The 20-year-old reportedly has a release clause in the region of £45million which becomes active from next summer. So the Reds could plausibly negotiate a cut-price deal – that’s if you believe @KICKER. The German news outlet also asserts that the Royal Blue’s ‘financial situation is threatening‘ as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.
It’s also clear that the recruitment team will be hoping to shore up the left side of the defence. Andy Robertson is the club’s only recognised senior left-back, and so the Echo’s @ptgorst says he would not be surprised to see Klopp make a move for the precocious Englishman Lloyd Kelly. The club registered an interest in the Bournemouth defender last year and is valued at around £13million.
Multiple reports suggest that Liverpool will need to raise funds before they make any moves in the market, however. That means both Harry Wilson, 23, and Marko Grujic, 24, according to the Mirror, are likely to leave this summer. Both men have enjoyed relatively successful loan spells at Bournemouth and Hertha Berlin respectively, and the Reds could accrue a combined total of £40million for their sales.
That money could be used to fund a move for Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara, who has been heavily linked with a move to Anfield. But as per @FabrizioRomano, no official bid, or approach, has been made.
At present, a move is for the Spaniard is unlikely. But fans will be patently encouraged by the news Thiago is refusing to sign a new contract at Bayern. Club chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirmed his intention is to leave in an interview with @SkySportNewsHD.
He said: “…Thiago informed Hasan Salihamidzic (the club’s Sporting Director) that he would like to do something new again, and so it is. We will have to accept that…”
Noting that the player was, at one stage, close to agreeing a new deal, Rummenigge continued: “I’m not angry at all, I like him. I think he’s a great footballer and he has a good character too. And you shouldn’t forget either that at 29, he is at an age where, if he wants to do something new, he has to do it now.”
- Adam Lallana, after six years on Merseysde, has joined Brighton. He made 178 appearances for Liverpool, scoring twenty-two goals.
- Swansea City want to take Rhian Brewster on a second loan. The youngster has scored 11 goals in 22 appearances for the Welsh side since January. Swans boss Steve Cooper is hopeful a deal can be agreed – @BBCSport
- @ptgorst is confident Adrian will remain at Anfield this summer. The Reds see him as a more than capable number two to first-choice goalkeeper Alisson Becker.
- As per @kicker, Jadon Sancho would prefer a move to Liverpool over Manchester United. It’s said that the youngster believes he is more likely to win titles at the Merseyside club. But there are also numerous stories circulating which claim he is close to joining the Red devils.
- Phil Coutinho is still itching to move back to Liverpool – yes still. Spurs, Leicester and Arsenal are all monitoring the Brazillian’s situation, but he believes his future lies with Klopp and Liverpool. – @SPORT