Liverpool’s transfer wishlist, if you believe the so-called ‘ITKs’ and tabloid journalists, is swelling exponentially. Cue the proverbial pinches of salt. Truth be told, football’s hiatus – and the fact there’s nothing much else to talk about – is partly responsible.
It would be dismissive, however, to suggest there have been no developments at all this week. Football – English football at least – could make its return in June; that’s the word on the street anyway. Needless to say, it’s been clear (for a long time now) that when football does return, matches will be played behind closed doors and perhaps even at neutral venues.
We are no closer to knowing ‘the how’, however. As I write, talks are ongoing.
So whilst the FA and the Premier League work on the building blocks of a solution, are Liverpool – behind the scenes anyway – working on potential big-money transfer deals? That’s the view posited by @Le10Sport‘s Alexis Bernard.
The French outlet suggests that Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp are preparing a huge transfer outlay in 2021, with Mbappe high on the agenda. But Bernard goes further by claiming that the German manager has even contacted the French international’s father.
By 2021, Mbappe will only have one year left on his PSG contract. Bernard believes the Reds are working tirelessly behind the scenes to build a rapport with the Frenchman’s entourage. Only time will tell on this one.
And guess what, there’s more…
On top of the Mbappe interest, Klopp is also mulling over the idea of swooping for Lille forward Victor Osimhen. England is likely to be the Nigerian’s next destination. He boasts impressive stats as well. In Ligue 1 this season, he’s scored 13 goals and assisted 5 in 27 appearances.
Lille president Gerard Lopez, without naming names, has gone as far as to say the French club have ‘received offers’ for the 21-year-old centre forward. He has four years left on his current deal.
There is seemingly no end to the talk of Coutinho making a surprise return. It is no secret that the Brazillian – who left Anfield for Barcelona in January 2018 – is open to the possibility.
In fact, as per a report by @Sport, Coutinho has been itching to find a solution to his precarious predicament. The former Red, unwanted by his temporary employers Bayern Munich, recently urged Liverpool to make an offer. The response, according to this report, was an instant rebuff.
The notion that ‘there’s seemingly no way back’ has been reemphasised repeatedly over the last year or so by James Pearce. So no surprises here.
It’s said that his agent Kia Joorabchian is now offering his client’s services to London clubs such as Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur. Newcastle United, potentially aided by a substantial influx of Saudi Arabian capital, may also be in the running.
- The Athletic’s Phil Hay provided an update on Leeds United defender Ben White on Monday, suggesting the chances of Leeds retaining his services look slim. Both Manchester clubs are keeping tabs; as are Klopp’s Liverpool.
- Chelsea’s Willian, who becomes a free agent this summer, has been tentatively linked. @Sport sparked the discussion. But the reliable @IanDoyleSport has since asserted that a move is unlikely.
- Timo Werner – the centre of attention at this moment – is intent on moving to Merseyside. That’s if you believe Sky sources. The Reds, however, are continuing to monitor the situation and are unlikely to make a move before his £52million release clause expires in June.
- Rome paper Il Messaggero claims Lazio striker Joaquin Correa is being ‘watched’ by Liverpool scouts with Klopp a big admirer. The Reds could opt to make a move next year. It’s also believed that the Anfield club may offer to cancel the 30% sell-on clause embedded in Luis Alberto’s current deal with the Seria A club as a potential deal sweetener.